Real Estate and Civil Engineering Regional Office
4101 Reservoir Road, NW
Washington, D.C. – 20007
(202) 944-6056 / 6038 / 6196
(202) 944-6000 (main)
Rémi SIMON, Ronan HÉRITIER, Loic MARTIN
The Real Estate & Civil Engineering Regional Office is the local representative of the Building and Logistic Division of the Department of Foreign and European Affairs of the French Republic.
The Building and Logistic Division is responsible of all the facilities owned or rented by the French Republic abroad and used by the Department of Foreign and European Affairs, and has 18 Regional Offices throughout the world.
Under the authority of the local chiefs of mission and the Building and Logistic Division, each Regional Office is in charge of, for its geographic area:
- Project execution: management of building projects (construction of new facilities, renovation, security and code compliance upgrades, interior design, relocation, etc.), which includes the definition of the scope of work, solicitation and selection of companies for architectural services and general contractors, review of project documents and oversight of construction phase;
- Real Estate: management of acquisitions, sales, leases, and premises use agreements, which include space requirement planning, estate business case analysis, and negotiation with landlords;
- Annual inventory and appraisal of properties and rented premises;
- Assistance to all the French representations for the development of annual or multiyear real estate maintenance and investment plans;
- Advice, technical expertise, and economic and functional analysis on estate topics for the other French organizations.
The geographic area of the Real Estate & Civil Engineering Regional Office of Washington covers North America, Central America, and the Caribbean (except Haiti and the Dominican Republic since mid-2011), namely: USA, Canada, Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Cuba, Jamaica, Saint Lucia, and Trinidad and Tobago.
The Regional Office in Washington is in charge of approximately 150 facilities, which represent a floor area of approximately 1.200.000 sqft (69 acres of land) in thirty cities in 13 different countries. These are mainly offices (13 embassies, 3 multilateral missions, and 17 consulates, cultural services, or chancery annexes) and diplomatic residences but also include housing, schools, and cultural or research centers.