Reopening of French borders: June 9, 2021
Starting June 9, 2021, foreign citizens can travel to France depending on their vaccination status and the health situation of their country.
If you plan to travel to France from the United States (classified in “orange” on the basis of health indicators on June 2, 2021), you must follow the following instructions:
- If you are fully vaccinated:
- you will present proof of your vaccination,
- and the results of a negative PCR test of less than 72 hours or antigene test of less than 48 hours upon boarding,
In this case, you will not have to quarantine on arrival.
- If you have not been vaccinated and you are not a French citizen :
- to travel to France, you must have a compelling reason requiring your trip (corresponding to the compelling reasons of countries classified as "orange" - reasons listed in the table below)
- and present negative results of a PCR test of less than 72 hours or negative antigen of less than 48 hours on boarding
- and complete a 7-day quarantine upon arrival in France.
Compelling reasons to come to France if you’re not vaccinated:
- 1. French citizen, and their spouse (married, civil union or cohabiting partner) and their children;
- 2. Citizen of the European Union or equivalent, and their spouse (married, civil union or cohabiting partner) and their children, whose main residence is in France or who is returning, in transit through France, to their main residence in a European Union country or equivalent or to a country whose nationality they hold;
- 3. Citizen of a third country who is a holder of a valid French or European residence permit or long-stay visa, who has their main residence in France or who is returning, in transit through France, to their main residence in a European Union country or equivalent;
- 4. British citizen and members of their family who are beneficiaries of the Agreement on withdrawal of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland from the European Union and the European Atomic Energy Community;
- 5. Citizen of a third country holding a long-stay visa issued for the purpose of family reunion or reunification of refugee families, beneficiaries of subsidiary protection and stateless persons;
- 6. Health or research professional contributing to the fight against COVID-19 as well as his spouse (married, civil union, cohabiting on presentation of proof of community of life) and his children ;
- 6bis. Foreign health or research professional recruited as an associate trainee;
- 7. A third-country citizen with a “Talent Passport” LSV, as well as his spouse (married, civil union, cohabiting on presentation of proof of community of life) and his children ;
- 8. Students enrolled in French as a foreign language (FLE) courses prior to enrollment in higher education or admitted to the oral examinations in French higher education institutions or registered for the start of the 2021-2022 school year; Researcher settling in France at the invitation of a research laboratory, for research activities which imperatively require a physical presence as well as his spouse (married, civil union, cohabiting on presentation of proof of community of life) and his children ;
- 9. Land, sea and air transport sector workers or transport service providers, including drivers of vehicles carrying goods intended for use in the territory, as well as those who are only in transit, or travelling as passengers returning to their home base or for training purposes;
- 10. Foreign citizen working for a diplomatic or consular mission, or an international organization with its headquarters or an office in France, as well as their spouse and their children or a foreign citizen of a third country staying in France for a compelling professional reason under a mission order issued by their country of origin;
- 11. Traveler in transit in the international zone for less than 24 hours.
Do you need a visa?
Depending on nationality, duration of stay and purpose of your stay, you might need a visa. To check if you need a visa, please visit: https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en_US/web/france-visas/welcome-page