Explosions in Boston
Paris, April 16, 2013
The President expresses his very great shock following the explosions which have just rocked the city of Boston, with what is still a provisional toll of several people killed and many others injured.
In these tragic circumstances, the Head of State extends his condolences to the bereaved and expresses France’s wholehearted solidarity to the American authorities and people./.
Press conference of Fabien Fieschi, Consul General of France in Boston
Boston, April 16, 2013
The Consul General expressed his heartfelt sadness concerning the horrific events, as well as the solidarity of the French people with the victims, their families, and Boston authorities. He echoed the condolences offered by both French President François Hollande and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and said that he had spoken on the phone with Hélène Conway-Mouret, the Minister in charge of French nationals abroad, about the situation.
At the time of the press conference, the Consul General said that no French people had been identified among the victims. However, he expressed the importance of caution as the Consulate is still waiting for some hospitals to confirm that they did not treat any French citizens, though at Massachusetts General Hospital and Tufts Medical Center, where the most urgent cases were sent, this has already been confirmed.
The Consulate early on notified the Crisis Center in Paris, so that families and friends in France can inquire about the safety of their relatives in the Boston region.
The Consulate has also provided a local emergency contact number (617-635-4500), and published useful information on its website and Facebook page ; French nationals registered at the Consulate, or through the Ariane program for travelers, have also been contacted through e-mail and/or SMS.
We have tried to contact French citizens who registered for the marathon (158 in total), focusing especially on those who had not yet finished the race, and we will continue until we have clarified the status of all of the runners. The Consulate has been in constant contact with local authorities and hospitals in order to quickly receive any information relating to French people potentially affected by the explosions.
The Consulate remains completely mobilized, even if Boston is beginning to return to normalcy.
Presidence of the Senate
Paris, April 16, 2013
Mr. Jean-Pierre Bel, President of the Senate, expresses his shock following the tragic events that took place at the finish line of the Boston Marathon.
He condemns the cowardly and indiscriminate attack that led to the death of 3 people and injured many others. He assures the U.S. local and federal authorities of the full support of the Senate of the French Republic in this ordeal.
Jean-Pierre Bel expresses his sincere condolences to the victims’ families.
Communiqué from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Spokesperson
April 15, 2013 at 10.00 p.m. (GMT)
We have just learned that explosions in the city of Boston have, according to provisional reports, left two people dead and many others injured.
At this difficult time, our thoughts are with the victims’ families and the injured.
We also want to assure the local and federal authorities of our support and our wholehearted solidarity.
Our General Consulate in Boston, our embassy in Washington as well as all our posts in the United States are fully mobilized and at the disposal of our compatriots.