Skip to main content

FAQ - Canada - Investment income

Published on October 14, 2014

Investment income (interests, dividends etc.)

1 - A 30 % withholding tax was applied to my dividends from French source. The treaty states a 15 % tax. How can I get a refund for the difference?

In order to claim benefit of the provisions of the French-Canadian tax treaty in regards to dividends, you should file French tax forms 5000 (Certificate of residence) and its schedule 5001.

Those tax forms are downloadable on our website here

Tax form 5000 should be validated by the Canadian tax authorities. For more information on where to send your form 5000 for Canadian validation, please visit the Canadian Revenue Agency’s website here

2 – I am a resident of Canada and I have investments in France. How will the income from those investments be taxed in France?

If your residence for tax purposes is not located in France, the income from securities (« Revenus de Capitaux Mobiliers ») that you receive in France are subject to a withholding tax with a rate of 21 % or 30 % subject to more favorable provisions under an international tax treaty

There is no need to report this withholding tax on your French income tax return.

The income from securities is not subject to social contributions (« prélèvements sociaux ») if you are not a resident of France for tax purposes.

To claim benefit from an international tax treaty, you need to provide your French paying agent with French tax form 5000 (Certificate of residence) and schedule 5001 (for dividends) and/or 5002 (for interests).

3 – Where can I find French tax forms 5000, 5001, 5002, 5003 ?

You can download the tax forms from our website: Forms 5000, 5001, 5002 and 5003.

4 – How to fill in French tax form 5000 ?

You can find the official instructions for tax form 5000 and a « manual » established by the Washington Embassy-based taxation office here.

5- I am leaving France, what financial assets must I close?

You must inform your French financial institution that you are leaving France. If you are no longer a French resident for tax purposes, you cannot have the following products:

  • Livret de développement durable (LDD),
  • Livret Jeune,
  • Livret d’épargne populaire (LEP).

    All other products are available to non-residents.

    Your financial institution should close your products.

    Don’t forget to tell them on which account you want your products to be transferred to.

Return home

Return to FAQ