Official speeches and statements - November 2, 2016
1. European Union - Fight against terrorism - Communiqué issued by the Ministry of Justice (Paris - October 24, 2016)
M. Jean-Jacques Urvoas, Minister of Justice, had a meeting with Mr Julian King, the new Commissioner for the Security Union, at the Ministry of Justice on Monday 24 October.
Mr King, who took office on 19 September 2016, has a mandate to ensure the implementation of the European Agenda on Security, adopted by the European Commission on 28 April 2015. He set out his four priorities to the Justice Minister: to speed up the member states’ implementation of existing mechanisms (among other things, the PNR directive on air passenger data), step up the fight against radicalization, support member states in the fight against terrorism and further improve the effectiveness of Europol and Eurojust.
Jean-Jacques Urvoas and Julian King also talked about the main issues of concern today which come under the Commissioner’s portfolio:
- the draft directive on terrorism, with the aim of finalizing discussions with the European Parliament by the end of 2016;
- the Franco-German initiative aimed at tackling the difficulties posed by communications encryption in the framework of criminal investigations;
- the challenges of gathering electronic evidence in the framework of international mutual assistance in criminal matters;
- improving the exchange of information from criminal records on the basis of the system which interconnects criminal records (European Criminal Records Information System - ECRIS).
On all these issues, the Justice Minister and the Commissioner agreed that concerted action from European Union member states, with the support of the European Commission, is the only way of tackling the challenges confronting them in terms of security and justice.