Skip to main content

Informations for private individuals -Transportation of Currency or Monetary Intruments

Published on February 21, 2008

There is no limit in terms of total amount of monetary instruments which may be brought into or taken out of France nor is it illegal to do so. However any individual who transports more than €10,000 (or their equivalent) in currency or monetary instruments into or out of the country must file a Report of International Transportation of Currency or Monetary Instrument ("déclaration de sommes, titres et valeurs").

For the purpose of this reporting requirement:

The country means the European territory of the French Republic, the Overseas departments of Guadeloupe, French Guiana, Martinique and the Réunion.

Are therefore subject to the reporting requirement transportations of currency or monetary instruments to or from:

- Monaco;
- the French Overseas Territories (French Polynesia, New Caledonia and Wallis & Futuna);
- the French territorial collectivities of Mayotte and Saint-Pierre & Miquelon;
- the French islands of Saint-Barthélemy and Saint-Martin;
- the other Member States of the European Union (Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, The Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta,the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the U.K.);
- "third-countries" (not belonging to the European Union).

Currency or monetary instruments means all forms of payment that are bearer negotiable:

- French or foreign bills and coins;
- checks drawn on a third party;
- traveler’s and postal checks;
- letters of credit and bills of exchange;
- cash vouchers investments securities and others bearer or negotiable stocks;
- gold bullion and gold or silver coins officially quoted.

How to file the Report?


A form (cerfa #13426*03) is available from Customs Offices throughout the French territory as well as in the Embassies or Consulates General of France in the Member States of the European Union; but the Report may be filed on any unofficial paper.

The Report should include the following information:

- on the reporting individual: full name, nationality, home address, date and place of birth; and, if the currency and/or monetary instruments are being transported on behalf of a third party (individual or business): full identification of the owner;
- on the currency and/or monetary instruments transported: the following formulation (written in French):
"Je déclare être porteur des sommes, titres ou valeurs énumérés ci-dessous, dont le montant total est égal ou supérieur à €10,000";
- whether it is exported from or imported into France;
- the breakdown of the currency and/or monetary instruments according to their nature, specifying the amounts in each category.

The Report must be filed in three copies, each one signed and dated.

Where and when to file the Report?

- If the currency and/or monetary instruments are being transported to or from a country which does not belong to the European Union, the Report must be filed in all cases with the Customs Office at the port of entry.

- If the currency and/or monetary instruments are being transported to or from a Member State of the European Union, the report must be sent, at least 5 days prior to the date of the intended travel (and together with an addressed envelop to allow you to receive one stamped copy of the Report) to the following address:

Direction interrégionale des douanes et droits indirects de Roissy
Aéroport Charles de Gaulle
Rue du Signe
95701 ROISSY

The stamped copy of the Report must be kept with you at all times during your travel in France.