4101 Reservoir Road, NW
Washington, D.C. – 20007
Customs & Excise Counselor
Assistants to the Counselor
In case of withdrawal without agreement of the United Kingdom from the European Union, the border between France and the United Kingdom will be restored. Therefore, you will have to carry out customs formalities at import and export (documentary controls, controls of goods, payment of duties and taxes).
French Customs and its partners have anticipated those formalities and controls in order to ensure the continuity and fluidity of trade between France and the United Kingdom. Now, you also have to anticipate the end of the free movement of goods. The control of your delivery delays, your costs, your international competitiveness depend on your preparation.
- French Customs has recruited 700 additional officers between 2018 and 2020;
- French Customs as a whole is mobilized to anticipate the impacts of the Brexit: as soon as 2017, a special advisory committee was appointed to the Director General to study the Brexit impacts and raise awareness among the stakeholders, starting with the businesses. In preparation of the withdrawal, mobilization is increasing: with its partners, French Customs implements innovative solutions to ensure the continuity and fluidity of trade between France and the United Kingdom;
- French customs does not work alone on this issue: it works in close cooperation with the Secretariat General of European Affairs, which follows-up the project at governmental level, and other directorates of the Ministry of Economy. At regional level, the Customs Economic Action Centres (Pôle d’Action Économique, PAE) organize information meetings with the Regional Directorate for Entreprises (DIRECCTE) and all our export partners.
- Customs information for travelers and private individuals
- Importing and doing business with France
- French Customs official website
11 Rue des Deux Communes
93558 Montreuil Cedex